The Communications Technician II performs numerous duties related to the installation, operation and maintenance of communication facilities including fiber and copper, including but not limited to the following:
- Ability to resolve escalated troubles assigned.
- Proficient in DLC equipment determining customer logical facilities and the quality of a customer circuit.
- Proficient in FTTH Installs from TAP to customer homes.
- Engineer installations for new homes.
- Performs complicated service orders.
- Ability to splice up to 200 pair copper cables.
- Proficient in all test gear assigned to Communication Technicians.
- Receive routine service orders and trouble tickets for processing.
- Perform various aerial duties, including climbing poles, installing, or removing cable, installing messenger strands and lashing communication cables around messenger strands, transferring cable and equipment to new poles, and increasing or decreasing slack when needed.
- Operate automotive and construction equipment and performs other assigned duties related to cable and conduit placement.
- Wireless: Ability to perform software surveys, site surveys, installations, and troubleshooting.
- Work with the awareness of the considerable hazards
- Identify cable pairs and groups for customer installs and trouble shooting.
- Maintain communication cable system by testing to locate trouble, opening cable to repair or replace defective sections using splicing techniques and special equipment.
- Terminate customer drop cable to cable feeds using splicing techniques and special equipment, such as multi-distribution stubs and terminal access boxes.
- Perform testing on completed splices or terminations to ensure dependable service.
- Support cable, splice closures, and distribution stubs as necessary.
- Transfer customers’ service from one cable and/or terminal to another.
- Use Personal Computer equipment to complete work assignments.
- Install patch panels and CAT 5 wires.
- Able to wire Central Office frame cable pair to line terminal.
- Make all common types of telecommunication installations, regulated and deregulated
- Run acceptance tests at completion of installation to ensure that equipment is working properly.
- Proficient in MappCom GIS System.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) – Monday through Friday, 7:30 to 4:30 p.m., as well as an on-call rotation. We offer an excellent benefit package with medical, dental, eye care, wellness, 401(k) plan, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, disability, long term care and life insurance coverage.
You will receive some on-the-job training and resources in a supportive environment that encourages your professional growth. We offer a competitive compensation package starting at $25-30 per hour depending on experience.
Be a part of a team that is passionate about technology and cares about our customers!
Back to Careers